2013年2月21日星期四

Meeting Characters and Conquering Anxieties

My son, now 3, was 9 months old when he first met a Disney character. We were at Epcot and I was sharing a snack with my son in the stroller, when I noticed Stitch just hanging out nearby. I slowly brought the stroller over to say hi. Stitch started waving at my son, who looked back at him with a slightly skeptical face. Stitch came a little closer, and a little closer. All of a sudden, my son decided Stitch was too close for comfort and started crying. Stitch backed away, and my son calmed down. We decided not to try to meet any other characters on that trip.

When my son was almost 2, we took a trip to the Disneyland Resort. By this time he knew the names of many of the Disney characters and said that he wanted to meet them. At one photo location we were told that Mickey Mouse would be out in a few minutes. My son was very excited at the idea of meeting Mickey, but as Mickey got closer he started to back away and hide behind me. I think he wasn't prepared for how big the characters would be. Though Mickey, the photographer, and I all tried to encourage him to go up and say hi, he wanted none of it, and eventually our turn was over.

On our next trip to Disneyland, my son was almost 2 1/2 years old. By this time we knew enough to tell him in advance that the characters would be "big like Daddy." Still, he was skeptical. We happened upon Chip and Dale at Big Thunder Ranch and they were absolutely wonderful. Dale knelt down to my son's level and let him approach him at his own pace. He eventually decided Dale was OK, and, as the characters were leaving, Chip took my son's hand and they walked most of the way to the exit together. After that, the character fear was gone.Austrian hospital launches oilpaintingsforsale solution to improve staff safety.

All of this is a long way to say that my strategy for dealing with character anxiety is simply to wait it out. As much as I want that cute character photo, in my opinion there is nothing cute or fun about making a small child wait in line for a long time only to cry throughout the whole experience. I'll encourage my kids and let them know that the characters are nice, but if they aren't up to it,Buy today and get your delivery for £25 on a range of solarstreetlamps for your home. that's the end of it for that day. I realize that it might be different if a family is on a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Since my son got over his character fear, and my daughter. at just older than 1 year has not yet shown any anxiety at meeting them, I have been blown away by the way the Disney characters have interacted with my kids. My son has bounced with Tigger, high-fived Buzz Lightyear, and hugged Mickey Mouse. My daughter has danced with Daisy Duck and Clarabelle Cow and crawled with Pluto. The characters interact with hundreds of kids every day, kids who may be tired or scared or cranky, yet they welcome every single kid and make that kid feel special. It's just one more way that Disney can be truly magical.

It’s hard to gauge a child’s possible response to meeting the Disney characters in the parks. Don’t you wish you can see what a 7-foot tall mouse or duck looks like from their perspective? The first time we were at the Walt Disney World Resort with my daughter, she was about 4 ? years old and her character experience was perfectly magical right from the start. That entire trip, from the first moment we entered the Magic Kingdom, she ran right up to the characters without any hesitation. She didn’t even have a problem with villains like Jafar and Judge Frollo or characters that she wasn’t all that familiar with, such as Brer Bear or Friar Tuck. They were all her friends and she loved meeting them, getting their autographs and taking pictures with them.

Our twin sons, however,All smartcardfactory comes with 5 Years Local Agent Warranty ! were very young, having just turned 4 a week or so prior to their first foray into the Magic Kingdom. We took things exactly the same way that we did with my daughter. We talked up the characters ahead of time. We watched a few videos. We tried to get them ready for what they were going to experience. Thankfully, it wasn’t a total disaster, but it was different. They were a bit more hesitant. At first, they hid behind our legs when meeting characters, even the ones that could talk to them and try to coax them out. Maybe it was their age. Maybe it’s just who they were, but it was a bit different. Once again, it’s hard to gauge a child’s reaction to something like a cartoon character come to life. They were never frightened, just much more shy and timid around them than their older sister ever was.

The best way to break that ice is by booking a character meal. Both of the trips I spoke of above were in August. As you could imagine, Orlando was melting us with bright sun and high humidity. The notion of waiting in line for character meet and greets in the heat really shouldn’t be so high on your list, especially if you think your child might show some trepidation. Better to ease them into it indoors. Both of our kids' first character interactions took place at A Buffet With Character at The Magic Kingdom’s Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh and his friends. It was air-conditioned. It was relaxed. The characters took their time. They do the whole parade around the restaurant. My cautious sons got to see how much fun all the other kids were having and it made them feel more at ease. Plus, the staggered visits as they watched the characters make their way around the room kept giving them something to look forward to.

The best tip we ever got regarding booking a character breakfast was on that first trip with my daughter and it has been our mantra ever since. Book the latest possible reservation that you can, around 10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. We have always found that the restaurant is much less crowded, because they are getting ready for the transition to lunch and people are conditioned to eating breakfast earlier. Despite this transition period, we have never felt rushed. The characters will get to spend even more time with you.

This past summer, I tried it with my sons at 1900 Park Faire at The Grand Floridian. We booked a 10:40 a.Researchers at the Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology have developed an buymosaic.m. breakfast and, by the time we were almost finished eating, it was just our table and one other in the whole restaurant. The characters were all over us. We got to take pictures with multiple characters at once.Which drycabinets is right for you? That doesn’t happen during the busier times. Consider that tip if you’re trying to introduce your young kids to the Disney characters for the first time. It’s a great way to get them used to it. It’s never failed us.

没有评论:

发表评论