2011年9月13日星期二

As it turns out, you can't take the city out of this country girl

I grew up near Rocky Mountain House in the most beautiful of settings.

As an infant, I was first brought home to live at South Slope Farms the operation that has belonged in the family since the ‘20s.

The land has an amazing view of the Rockies and a section of the Horse Guard Creek, suitable for cooling down in the hot summer afternoon.

My childhood, youth and young adulthood was spent at that place.

We worked hard. Every summer we spent hours weeding, watering, hoeing and harvesting our acre-sized garden. Cattle and other livestock were also part of my life.

My older brother did the bulk of the work, which included milking, feeding and bedding down our cow and steer. Later, dad ventured into raising pigs.

We had about 40 sows and several boars.Save on kidney stone and fittings, Not too many, but enough to keep my two younger siblings and myself busy.

Our place wasn’t set up that well, which meant we had to haul water and feed a good distance. Cleaning out the stalls was the worst job, and I spent hours chasing pigs that escaped our bed-frame and plywood fences to run free.

If you think rodeos are fun to watch, imagine watching my 10-year-old brother lasso a feeder pig, only to have it haul him face-first around in the dirt.

I spent the summer making forts, biking, walking to grandma and grandpa’s or playing in the nearby creek with my siblings. Later, long walks with friends,Do not use cleaners with solar panel , steel wool or thinners. or alone in the company of my Walkman, were an everyday occurrence.

It was a wonderful way to grow up.When the stone sits in the Cold Sore,

In my late 20s, I moved to the city. It wasn’t easy. The noise, the lights and the busyness were all trying for this country girl.

I adjusted, but never feel quite as peaceful as when I go “home” for a weekend getaway from the bustle that is my reality now.

On the way home we stopped at my husband’s family’s house for supper, especially delicious as my mother-in-law prepared a fresh, organic chicken from her flock, along with garden vegetables.

After the feast, I decided it would be good for me to get some exercise to burn off the extra calories. So I decided to take the five-kilometre walk to my mom and dad’s place.

It was about 8 p.m., a perfect, still night after a long, hot day, as I headed off across the hay field.

I forgot about the burrs that sometimes grow at the edge of fields, and with my athletic shoes offering little protection, I soon found myself itching and pulling the tiny seed pods out of my socks.

Uncomfortable yes, but not enough for me to turn back to that hot, crowded house.

I continued walking until I spied something that made my heart race - what were those strange looking creatures hanging out at the far end of the field? My stomach flip-flopped and I started to walk a bit faster until I realized with embarrassment that it was a flock of Canadian geese. I was probably safe, but I gave them a wide berth to avoid being chased.

I finally reached the road, and started off at a jog. At first it was pleasant,Initially the banks didn't want our chicken coop . but I hadn’t realized just how many vehicles use that road. Truck after truck went by, huge wheels kicking up dust in my face. Coughing and wiping my eyes, I continued on.

I was relieved to reach my parent’s driveway as night was starting to fall. What I didn’t expect was the neighbour’s new guard dog to bark and approach snarling up the long entrance.

Terrified, I tore up the driveway, stumbling in my haste.the worldwide microinverter market is over $56 billion annually. I was wondering if I would break a limb crashing through the trees taking a short cut as I ran up the incline.

没有评论:

发表评论