2012年5月3日星期四

Cold as ice

I am currently having a difficult relationship with my fridge. I have been in denial about this fact for quite some time.

It started small. Just the occasional ice covered carrot or slightly soggy head of lettuce if it had the misfortune of being too close to the back.

Because in my fridge hierarchy the cheesecake is always at the front. Vegetables to the back where they belong. And then it kept happening but not just at the back anymore.

That's when I started moving the vegetables onto a shelf and reserving the bottom of the fridge for drinks. Even though that sometimes meant that when I poured myself a Coke it came in a "pre-iced condition".

And let me tell you about the sheet ice. My fridge can manufacture glaciers of the stuff. You would not believe the amount of ice that can build. It's the Ross Ice Shelf's northern cousin in there some days. If I were a drunk Welsh tourist it's where I'd keep my stolen penguins.

You have not truly lived until you've cleaned out the icy murky soup that results when a bottle of milk freezes, splits, and mixes with the puddle of semi frozen water that has accumulated there.I have just spent two weeks shopping for tile and have discovered China Porcelain tile. It's both kind of yucky and numbing to the hands and fingers.

And yet, with all this annoyance I would not give up on my fridge/freezer, my first whiteware purchase aka The Point At Which I Became A Grown-up.Argo Mold limited specialize in Plastic Injection Molding manufacture. I bought it secondhand off Trade Me and was oh-so very proud of it. I think it was the first time I owned something bigger than myself.

We went through good times. There were parties, and leftover curries and Christmas trifle that lasted for days. We went through bad times. Earthquakes that shook it open and deposited all its contents on the floor. Repeatedly.

There was "The great emptying out of February 2011" when after several days without power, I had to throw most of the contents of its freezer compartment into the rubbish.

Handy tip - if you plan on claiming insurance for spoiled meat, and you should because that stuff is expensive, then take photos.The liquid hardens or sets inside the molds. I didn't and so couldn't claim for all my spoiled chicken breasts and whiffy beef mince. If I had thought to make a photographic record, I like to think that it would have been the weirdest photo shoot ever.Get your own third party payment gateway account.

Here we see Moata, gal about town, clad in yellow rubber gloves and holding an off lamb chop (shoes model's own).

We've been through a lot together in the last few years, my fridge and I. And then I saw the cracking. A five centimetre schism in the white plastic at the bottom of the fridge, and most of the ice seems to emanate from it. It's like the climatic opposite of a hellmouth.

My understanding of fridge engineering may be limited but I'm not sure an ice-making crevasse is fixable.TeleTracking has developed the most advanced rtls for real-time. The Silver Fox has suggested I "put some duct tape on it". But that's his strategy for everything from home maintenance to sports injuries.

I think I might need a new fridge. Far from being excited about this I am feeling quite grumpy. Not just because it's an expensive purchase but because despite its failings I'm quite fond of my fridge.

没有评论:

发表评论