2011年6月19日星期日

Deeply inhaling the joy of clothesline-dried laundry

After eight years of cajoling, begging, and yes, a little nagging, I finally got my husband and two teenage sons to put up a clothesline for me recently. I gave them all the normal reasons -- it will save money. Do you know how much energy it takes to dry all of your blue jeans and heavy sweatshirts? Do you know how many times I send floor rugs through the dryer before they're totally dry?

But, I have to admit, my reasons for wanting a clothesline go beyond financial solvency. I simply want the smell of freshly line-dried sheets and socks and T-shirts and the memories that go with them.

I grew up on a farm with a huge clothesline. Everything we wore went on that line, winter or summer.Full color plastic card printing and manufacturing services. My Grandma Beyer,Free DIY Wholesale pet supplies Resource! meticulous housekeeper that she was, impressed on my mother that you always washed off your clothesline before hanging anything on it, in order to get rid of any dust from the gravel road we lived next to.This is interesting cube puzzle and logical game. It's something I still feel guilty about when I throw my clothes casually onto the line.

Then there was a definite contest among the women of our neighborhood -- all of them of Dutch ancestry -- for not only whose laundry got onto the line first on Monday mornings, but also whose looked the cleanest and was hung the most appropriately. Oh, yes, there was a definite way to hang laundry, and the battle raged about whether your clothing "shared" clothespins or each got their own; whether you hung blue jeans upside down so that the bulky waistband dried fully or whether you hung them right-side up to prevent creases; whether to use "pinchy" clothespins or the type that jammed down over your clothing. These were important considerations, and each woman had her own method and defenses.Detailed information on the causes of dstti,

As a little girl, I didn't really care about all that. My sister and I simply wanted to run through drying sheets, much like a bull through a red cloth, often accompanied by our various pets -- a couple of dogs, a goat, a baby calf or a raccoon. It was my sister's goat, Nestor, though, that caused the greatest commotion. Nestor was, shall we say, fond of chewing things off the line. We never knew when we'd find a partially consumed pair of underpants in the middle of the yard, and Nestor was a convenient scapegoat -- literally -- for when we couldn't find the match to a pair of socks.

My kids haven't been impressed with my latest efforts on the clothesline. "My T-shirt is crunchy!" my son moaned one morning. "That's right -- dried by Nature herself," I replied. "Can't beat that." They'll get used to it.

I walked into an upscale bedding store a while back and saw they were selling "fresh mown grass scent" to put into your washing machine and make your bedding smell like the outdoors.uy sculpture direct from us at low prices What a waste, I thought, for these poor people who don't have a clothesline and who are restricted by covenants and contracts so that they can't have one! To rely on bottled perfume!

I have to admit, however, that there would be an advantage to not having a goat nibble your things off the line.

没有评论:

发表评论