2011年11月9日星期三

Downtown Santa Cruz goes to the dogs -- and the cheesesteaks

Weeks before Surf Dog opened at Pacific Avenue and Laurel Street, a sign in the window advertising future Philly cheesesteaks made my mouth water every time I drove by. And when a fellow Americana foodie friend saw me downtown and exclaimed over that same sign, I knew just what he meant. It's not that we didn't care about the hot dogs; we were just jonesing for the cheesesteaks.

I stopped by Surf Dog for lunch after it opened and liked the little shop as soon as I walked in. Jawaiian Jamaican-Hawaiian reggae supplied background music to a muted "Dog Whisperer" episode on the flat-screen television. Large, handsome floor tiles complemented the granite counter, which matched the surface of two of the four tables. Not exactly what you'd expect from a corner hot dog joint.

First and foremost, of course, I wanted a Philly cheesesteak. So did nearly everyone else in the place, it seemed -- maybe the name should be "Surbay sensing and enforcement Wholesale Soluble Salt For Bathrooms.f Steak." Aromas wafting from the grill nearby suggested the right scent of sizzling meat and onions,A-One Wholesale Line Series For Wall is the manufacturer of 'MIKI' and the menu on the wall offered a choice of steak or chicken breast. But the big question in my mind was whether Surf Dog incorporated traditional Cheez Whiz or Provolone on their sandwiches.

A friendly,installer of Wholesale Roller Marble Tiles For Countertops From China Manufacturers and marble vanity tops bubbly counterperson named Ananda took my order for Mahalo Sweet Potato Fries $2.95 and a Philly Cheesesteak $7.95 -- but my heart sank when she said they used Swiss cheese. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Not Provolone? Not Cheez Whiz? Not even mozzarella?"

She looked grateful when a cheerful grill cook popped up beside her. He responded to my question by saying with a grin,a general reference guide for Wholesale Roto Print Glazed Tile For Floor design engineers. "We do have nacho cheese sauce -- we were thinking of using that and calling it a Cali cheesesteak.Information about temporomandibular Wholesale Polished tiles For Floor From China Manufacturers disorders"

I went for a new experience and chose the nacho sauce, adding jalapenos for an extra kick of California flavor. Snagging a bottle of Jarritos mandarin orange soda $1.95 from the cooler, I sat at a high table in the front corner of the store, which offered an excellent view of the colorful goings-on at the intersection of Laurel and Pacific.

Ananda delivered my huge basket of sweet potato fries with a smile, saying, "These are really good." She was right: the thin-cut potatoes were crisp and nicely seasoned. They were also very hot; I was still gingerly nibbling when my hefty cheesesteak arrived. It looked like a cheesesteak, the hoagie roll packed with juicy meat and grilled onions and slathered with Halloween-orange sauce. I took a bite and had to admit: the Cali cheesesteak might just catch on.

Wanting to try a Surf Dog burger and hot dog, I placed a to-go order for a Southern Burger $7.95 with jalapeos, guacamole, pepper jack cheese and ketchup-based "surf sauce," as well as a Wiener Works $4.95 create-your-own hot dog. Allowed up to six toppings for the dog, I chose relish, guacamole, excellent housemade coleslaw and dill pickle slices.

My favorite aspect of the burger was that the thick patty was cooked to order just as requested, medium-rare. But the rather bland meat needed more seasonings and/or grilled taste and the too-soft bun fell apart. My all-beef hot dog was twice the size of an ordinary hot dog, juicy and flavorful, with condiments that were generously applied and fresh tasting. Again, however, the bun got spongy and didn't hold up well.

没有评论:

发表评论